Sunday, March 23, 2008

Our Grandma and Great Grandma "Nanny"


Late this evening Brandon's grandma peacefully slipped away from this life. In recent months she had fallen and broken her pelvis. Two weeks ago we decided to travel to Utah to see our new little niece Emira. During this trip we were able to spend time with our "Nanny". As she continued to gain her strength and heal she fell once more this past week. Being almost 102 years old she finally let go after saying goodbye to her family. Wendy my sister-in-law and her family came down to the hospital to say their goodbyes along with Brandon's parents Stephen and Susan. Seconds before Nanny passed Brandon was able to shout I love you Grandma into the phone..almost like that was what she was waiting for.

We have been so blessed to have had Nanny as many years as we did. She is one of kind. She is the hardest worker I have ever met. She served a full time mission when she was 76 years old. When I met her in 1996 she had been blind for one year. This did not stop her. She continued to dance, bowl in tournaments, attend the temple weekly, and live on her own until October of 2005.
We are going to miss her sooo much but are truly grateful for our knowledge of Heavenly Fathers plan. We know that we will see her again and that she will finally be able to be reunited with her husband, her child that she lost at birth, parents, and siblings.


Nanny, we love you!!

5 comments:

Chris said...

Hi Alyssa! I am so excited to be in touch with you again. I am, however, sorry to hear about the passing of Brandon's Grandma. She sounds like a wonderful woman who lived a full life. I hope you guys are doing well and look forward to hearing more from you. Take care.

Amber said...

I am sorry you guys had to loose your Nanny, sounds like you were close to her. Hope you are all doing well through this. 102! wow, what an accomplishment!

Kristin said...

Let me know if we can do anything to help! Brandon was so lucky to have his grandma for so long! I wasn't as lucky! We love you guys.

Wendy said...

I am sorry for your loss, but I am always inspired by people who endure to the end so well. Thanks for sharing her story. Love ya, Wendy

Janan said...

Alyssa, I just typed in this huge REPLY only when I was finished did I notice Meg's hubby was the one signed in! Grrr. I didn't want to give him credit for the reply! So, here is a shorter one!! Needless to say the previous was a WHOLE TWO PARAGRAPHS!!

I remember the blonde firecracker friend. Your boys are cute!! Glad I can check in on your life once in a while, like old times! Ha ha!!

Sorry to hear about Nanny's passing. You will miss her greatly for all the memories she made in this life. During those times, remember what a wonderful reunion she is having with family and now she can see again!

Thanks for posting a comment and getting back in touch!!

 
Clicky Web Analytics