Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Katy Rice Festival Parade

Each year Katy hosts its annual Katy Rice Festival to support the towns history. Rice farming began in Katy in 1898. Land in Katy is rich and flat making it the prime land for rice fields and at one point in Katy's history there were more than 300 rice farmers. Right away rice farming made a significant contribution to the towns economy and even though it has slowed down throughout the years the community still comes together each year to educate and celebrate the history of the towns rice fields.

The festival starts out with a parade early Saturday morning and continues throughout the rest of the weekend with booths, pageants, and carnivals.

Three years ago our good friends the Taggart's introduced us to the early morning parade and we have attended every year since.

My favorite part of the parade was when Wizard of Oz comes walking down the street
with a banner reading "There's No Place Like KATY. "



Plenty of advertisements and candy to go around


3 comments:

Cassie said...

Hey Alyssa! This is Cassie from Scotland! Mike & Sarah were over here last week and she showed me your blog and some others, and now I'm homesick for Katy :) Your boys are darling, and I'm sure your baby girl will be too! Congrats!

Katy Schepis Edmondson said...

Hi Alyssa! Looks like you guys had fun. I think I left Gavin's sippy cup at your house the other day.
Katy
http://bumblebeetuna99.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am a grad student at Texas A&M and am doing a cultural institution project. I am doing the cultural project on the impact of this festival on our Katy residents. You have beautiful pics of the Katy Rice Harvest Festival! May I please use your pictures of the Good Witch and of the parade? Also - I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on what the festival means to you and your family.

I know this is a strange request - I just adore your blog and thought you'd have some great input!

Thanks!
Maria Harrington
mariaharrington@consolidated.net

 
Clicky Web Analytics