Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Happy Birthday Linds

Lindsay has been one of my best friends for the past twenty years. She is my oldest friend meaning I have not been friends with anyone longer than her. When I was in sixth grade I moved from SLC to San Diego and we instantly became friends that summer. Too many memories to log but, I must say she is one of the most creative people I know. One summer we decided we wanted to buy these dressy black shoes with a bow on top that looked like a cob web for the upcoming school year. Lindsay and I made scrunchies day after day to sell so we could go and buy these silly shoes that we thought were so cool. We were very into fashion since day one. I think Lindsay really was the one with the fashion sense and I got all my fashion education from her.
We continued to be friends through junior high and high school. My junior year in high school I left a private school in La Jolla to attend the same public school Lindsay went to just to find out the following summer before Senior year my family would be moving back to SLC. That summer I stayed behind with Lindsay when my family moved. I quite my job early and we played all summer. I remember her family driving me up to Utah and stopping at Brick Oven in Provo, Utah for lunch. This was 1995 and every girl in this restaurant was still wearing overalls and long permed hair with "THE CLAW" for bangs. I started to cry and Lindsay said, "Don't worry I can send you pictures out of catalogs and magazines with the real style since they might not sell up to date catalogs and magazines here."
The following year Lindsay moved to Utah to attend BYU while I attended the University of Utah. Even though we attended different Universities we still made time to see each other every few weeks whether we were setting each other up on dates, or I was getting my hair or nails done at the salon she worked at, or just to hang out. One summer in college we took off to New York for a few weeks to visit one of my friends doing his internship there. We were there over the 4th of July and even though Lindsay and I had spent many 4th of July's together we both agreed this was the best yet.
Upon getting married we were each others bridesmaids and have continued to be good friends throughout the past however many years.
Lindsay you have been such a great friend to me through the good and the bad times. I can't imagine how different my life would be if you had not been apart of it. I hope you have the best thirtieth birthday ever!!
Love, Aly

FAO Schwartz Toy Store, New York, 1999

11 comments:

cortney and neil said...

Your so cute Lys. You amaze me at how many good friends you have. I also LOVED the old photo of you. It was classic!

Tyler Jorgenson said...

That top pic is exactly how I remember you two. Awesome!

Ashli said...

How cute you were and still are! HOpe you are feeling well down the home stretch.

Anonymous said...

You make me cry :( That first picture sure shows everyone how truly stylish we were/are ;) Can you believe how many years have flown by?? Thank you thank you for the sweet post- it's the best birthday present yet! PS- Did you get the invite yet??? Call me if you didn't because I just sent it! XXOO!

Shy Little Violets said...

It's amazing how small this world is sometimes. I know you don't know me but I know your husband from a very long time ago, I used to date a friend of his, Mike Dean. Brandon and I were in the same family on the pioneer trek and were in nearly every elementary class together too. Would you please pass a hello on to him from Melinda Ward. My blog is private but if he'd like to see my little family he's welcome to visit, just send me an e-mail to jmocurtis@hotmail.com and i'll allow him as a reader. I married a friend of his Jesse Curtis from highschool. What a darling family you guys have. I'm sorry to just pop in like this but I thought you were another couple from Herriman UT that I knew, I had no idea I would see a face from my past. Please tell him hi for me!

The Harbertson Family said...

Aly what a cute little post! Lindsay is lucky to have such a good friend. I totally remember that night at the Brick Oven! We were like, "Why do all these girls wear such long shorts?!" I don't know if that makes us snobs or hos...probably both!

QnA Drapers said...

How fun to see that pic of you two! Man has it really been that long? Good times... You have such cute kids!

QnA Drapers said...

Hey Aly- tell Linds and Angela I want to check out their blogs! I can't believe Linds was in Vegas all that time I was there- what a small world! We need to have a RB ward reunion.

Sonia said...

What a sweet post! And look at you, you still look just as cute! Btw, your boys beds are adorable. As are they!!!

Jer & Di said...

Hello Aly...it is me; Sister J! I really really love this blog thing and the ability to hop around the blogs and check on sweeties from the past like you! I love the pic ofyou and Lynds...you have done really well and I am ever so proud of you and the sweet family you have. I'd love to hear more about your family; I knew some Walkers years ago in San Bernardino CA.

Krissy Lowe said...

Aly that was the sweetest post. I love that that picture of you guys. I totally remember back in the day when everyone had to get a professional picture taken with their friends at the mall. Classic.
Oh and my boys are begging for a bunk bed too...I love their room.

 
Clicky Web Analytics